Yesterday at the end of class Mr. Warren asked me to focus in on and address the above question. I had staged most of my lifeline for Ula, but it lacked a central conflict, or intent for the audience. That led me to spend most of today trying to develop that, while also trying to be as honest about my own life experiences and perspective in the lifeline as I could.
I found in this process that for me it is much easier to fall back on cliche than it is to draw from my inner self. For example,I staged the "middle school" part of my lifeline with a self-conscious, self-absorbed, and awkward walking sequence. However, upon further reflection I realized that this approach was not only cliche, but not really true to my life experiences. Middle school was not awkward or particularly uncomfortable for me, in fact it was a time when I really grew up and came into my own. I decided to incorporate this into my lifeline by striking what I had staged before, and adding something that was more true to my experience. This was significant because it ultimately affects the intent of my lifeline, which for me is to convey the ups and downs, pacing, and emotions behind my entire life, moving through it chronologically. I want the audience to gain something truthful from watching my lifeline, whether it be connecting to one of my emotions, or understanding my experiences. This goal cannot be achieved if the events in my lifeline aren't true to the real me, so I am glad that I reflected upon what I had originally planned, and changed it to be more realistic.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.