Oliver! is my first experience in an actual show where I've had to put on an accent, really. It seems odd to me, because one of the stereotypes of an actor is a person who puts on a really fake accent and prances around self contentedly onstage, except I haven't gotten to share in that joy... Until now. Singing as a chorus member requires some accent work, and so does playing Old Sally, who delivers her final dying words all with a cockney flair. I've learned that using my voice is very important in this role, both to convey her character and age.
In yesterday's rehearsal, Mr. Warren told me he wanted Old Sally to be really crazy "like one of those old grandmothers from a horror movie", and I think my voice is an important tool in conveying this. It is one of the only tools I have as an actor, which also includes my physicality, facial expressions, and energy. Not only does she need to be from the East End of London, but Old Sally also needs to be a senile, crazy, dying old woman.
This leads me to ask and brainstorm answers to a few questions:
What does crazy sound like?
-Irregular breathing
-Fluctuation in pitch/tone
-Straining
How does a character's voice change when they are in their final dying moments?
-Weaker
-Gasping for air
-Breathlessness
How can you show old age with voice?
-Inconsistency
-Coughing
Still, even if I try to incorporate some of these different elements, I'll have to remember that A) The audience needs to understand me so that I can tell the story, and that B) I have to be true to the character I'm playing.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.