In all honesty, I have mixed feelings about this year, mostly because I really don't want to disappoint myself, or the theatre class ensemble. I'm excited, and apprehensive about the work that lies ahead of me this year in theatre. I've been told it was a lot. Then again, I was told the same thing about junior year, and it turned out to be my most rewarding class. Still, 'rewarding' is code for lots and lots of work, and commitment. But if this year is anything like last, I have a lot to look forward to. Some of the highlights included the ISTA Trip, the Anna Deveare Smith show Let Me Down Easy, The Schuler Hensley Awards, The IB Junior Showcase, and seeing the spring play. I'm proud to be officially a part of the theatre program at AIS, and relieved to be at a place with a good program, with lots of student interest in the department. As great as last year was, I can't help but be nervous about the upcoming year. What worries me a little are deadlines, word counts, and independent projects. They excite me at the same time, since they will be opportunities to explore things I'm interested in.
The independent project especially intimidates me. Since I'm taking theatre as one of my higher levels, my options are more limited. I can either do a workshop or devise a show. What I'm most concerned with at this point is coming up with a good idea. Of course it will be a lot of work from that point forward, but hopefully in a good way.
The exercises we did in class on the first day brought me back to our class's bonds, and to what we learned about theatre last year. Everything from sitting around the candles to lifting Karma up to the heavens screamed 'ritualistic', a word I learned to associate with theatre last year. It was a little weird, I have to admit, to be so ceremonial. I think I got used to it last year (think Dzieci) and maybe lost it over the summer.
Something else that stands out to me about theatre is the great group of people that make up our class. Last year we worked hard together (at some times), had lots of laughs, and really got to know each other. The showcase proved to me that we're capable of a lot when we all cooperate, which is easier said than done. I'm excited to be back with the theatre class. I know we always say how we have trouble getting things done, which may be true, but I wouldn't trade this group of people for the world. What reminded me of this was the moment we had when the 8th grade class started causing an uproar above us, and Peter took off running. Most people in most classes would not have taken that risk, but I think it speaks to the fun we have together.

Over the summer, I didn't forget about the theatre entirely, thanks to my extended essay project. Above is a picture of me at a rehearsal for the play The West Awakes, taken during my visit to Belfast, Northern Ireland. To me, this represents the growth I have experienced as a student since I began the IB, particularly in theatre. I had the opportunity to shadow Paula Mcfetridge, the really cool artistic director of Kabosh, a site-specific theatre company. It was an incredible day with them. Here I got great exposure to a real theatre company, and got to see how they operate. Also, it combined my Northern Irish heritage with my interest in theatre, a combination I didn't think could be achieved until Kabosh spoke at AIS. Basically, this got me really excited about theatre, and helped me a lot with understanding their work for my extended essay. More on this later.
Something that concerns me as I end my highschool career (eek!) is how to keep theatre in my life. Part of me is tempted to study it at the university level, because I really am passionate about it. At the same time, I don't know if I could imagine becoming a professional..
Hope to make it a great year. I'd really like to aim for a 7 as my IB grade, which I never thought possible at the start of junior year. Of course, getting a 7 isn't everything. I care much more about how my work turns out, and how much I progress in my knowledge of theatre.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.