Beginnings of the Independent Project
For the IP, I am still in the beginning stages of development. I know that I will be doing Option A, and therefore devising a piece of theatre. More specifically, I want to explore site-specific theatre after the experience I had over the summer and with writing my extended essay. Researching and observing the practice is one thing, but devising a piece of site-specific theatre will be a new and exciting challenge. Wikipedia’s entry on this kind of theatre says “Site-specific theatre is most simply defined as a performance which exists in a particular place. However, there remains a widespread debate about any more precise a definition. Some argue that any performance which takes place outside a theatre can be labeled site-specific. Other more rigorous practitioners argue that the title can only be applied to a production which has been developed in, developed from, and performed in, a specific place.” The last definition is the same as the one I was provided by Kabosh.
Over the summer I got to observe Kabosh in Northern Ireland, and although I did not witness the full devising process, I had the chance to speak with the company’s artistic director, which gave me a better understanding of how they work. I feel this is a good choice because the process of this genre is very organic, like devising is meant to be. You start with a space, generally related to some kind of theme or idea you have, and the show will develop based on the constraints of that site.
[within this building are limitless possibilities for theatre]
My role in this project will be to devise and direct a short site-specific play. In order to accomplish this I must first choose the right site. I am pretty sure I want to choose a space somewhere within AIS, and using it I could explore issues or ideas related to the school. This idea is inspired by the work we did last year with the IB Showcase, where the show was inspired by the school. My stimulus will be the space, so my choice of space is very important. Some of the spaces I am considering include the cafeteria, a classroom, the bathroom by the LPAC and a hallway. Whichever space I chose will affect the time of the show, the size of the audience, the number of actors, and even the theme or message. It is my goal to explore issues that will be of interest to an audience of AIS students. There are infinitely many to chose from, and will depend on my choice of space. I know I want a small cast because it will be more manageable and I will therefore be able to get a better product. Also, I want to start the rehearsal process as soon as possible so that I am not super-stressed at the last minute. I remember being a part of the IP last year, and although the student who directed me had everything together, it was a little chaotic at the last minute.
I’m looking forward to this process as a way of developing my interest in theatre. This will be my first experience directing a show on my own, and I really look forward to it. My next step is to do in-depth research into the process of devising, and then to choose my site. I’m hoping that if I follow the steps, I will be on the right track to a successful show. Only time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.