Stimulus:
An AIS Classroom
Rehearsal Plan
1st Rehearsal
Play Game(s)
Lay down expectations
Go over concept of show, of devising
Brainstorm the stimulus
Agree on day of week for rehearsals
2nd Rehearsal
Go to the space
Improv
Brainstorm more themes/ideas
3rd Rehearsal
Begin outlining the show
Assign Roles
Character Development
4th Rehearsal
Read thru script (or what we have so far)
Begin Blocking
5th Rehearsal
Blocking
6th Rehearsal
Rough Run w/ Blocking and Scripts
Make Changes to Script
7th Rehearsal
Run/Improve as Necessary
8th Rehearsal
Tech
9th Rehearsal
Tech
10th Rehearsal
Dress Rehearsal
This rehearsal schedule differs slightly from the Action Plan that I just wrote. I’ve chosen to include both in my journal, to show to process of devising, and how my plans change with more development. I’ve decided that I would like to take on the true devising process, where I create the play upon working with the actors to brainstorm and develop the stimulus. This is described in the packet that Mr. Warren gave us, and I think it is the best way to get the whole cast involved.
This is the same approach that Brian took last year when I acted in his show. Now that I’ve read Peter Brook’s The Open Door for my extended essay, I understand this process a little better. I had an ‘Aha’ moment when I read the last section of the book, which talks about the “Formless Hunch” a director has in devising. In our first rehearsal with Brian last year we read this excerpt of the book, but not until now did I realize how relevant it truly is.
So far I’ve made some progress in nailing down the piece. I chose my stimulus, and began communicating with potential actors. In terms of working with actors, I’m focusing more on finding people who are willing to show up to rehearsals. That’s the most important thing. I don’t care if they are polished performers or not, because I want this to be an organic process anyway. Sometimes people who are used to acting do so with a certain fakeness, and it’s almost easier to work with someone who hasn’t been groomed.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.