Tuesday

IP Journal 2-Devised Site-Specific Theatre

"Devised theatre uses space in a significantly different way from text-based theatre. Choosing a space or location to perform in is a preliminary consideration for a group, and may be the core reason for devising a particular product. How the space is organized and structured for performance is part of the developing process"
-from the 'Devising Theatre' Informational Packet given to us by Mr. Warren

My piece for the IP will work from the above quote. This is the theoretical underpinning of my project. The space will, in fact, be the "core reason for devising' this product. I will consider its constraints, the way it looks, its texture, the lighting, and what it symbolizes when writing the script.

The Following is my Action Plan:

1) Choose Option (A or B)
2) Choose Practice or Themes or Theory as Underpinning
3) Choose Space (AKA Stimulus)
4) Explore Themes, Brainstorm from Stimulus
5) Define number of actors and audience members, find a general structure
6) Define the audience, the message
7) Write script
8) Find and Enlist Actors, Plan Rehearsal Schedule
9) Begin Rehearsals
10) Make necessary changes to script/concept. Work with actors to do so.
11) Final Rehearsals
12) The Showcase

My role will be as devisor of site-specific theatre.

Right now I am in the middle of step 3. Choosing the space has been more difficult than I had anticipated. I know I want to do it at AIS because of A) Convenience and B) the possibility to explore issues related to the school. That said, I need to choose a space that I can feasibly rehearse in, fit some audience members in, and that is enough of a stimulus for devising. These are some of the options:
-A Classroom
-The Cafeteria
-Downstairs Bathroom near LPAC
-LPAC lobby?

Right now I am favoring the classroom idea. There are many classrooms in the building, so it would be relatively easy to secure one. Also, it would be cool to plant actors in with the audience sitting as 'students' and have actors be 'teachers'. I wonder if I could do some sort of interactive theatre? Wow-What a great stimulus! I am realizing this as I write it. I am going to need to think a little more, but this may be the one. Choosing a space is truly the most important step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.