Wednesday

Exploring Concepts

The concept I am working with to devise this piece is that the space comes first, then everything else comes into place.

Here is how the space has affected development so far:

Logistical Problems Posed:

-If the choice of space, an AIS classroom, is finite then many logistical issues must be tackled in relation to it. Here are the main questions that have arisen:

  • How do we get the audience to the classroom?
  • How do we manipulate the audience to be seated/standing how we want them to be?
  • When will this be performed? How can we make this happen on the night of the showcase?
  • How do we get together an audience of the appropriate size?
  • How many people will this space allow? How long can they comfortably be there?
  • Can this run in secession?

^^Answering these questions has become part of the process. It's hard to answer some of them without a comprehensive script, but the script has to be developed organically. When I worked with Kabosh, they talked about the limits the space imposed on # of audience members, time alotted, etc....

The Space and its Influence on Thematic Issues:

I chose the AIS classroom as a stimulus because I knew it would be relatively convenient performance purposes, and that it could relate to a cast of AIS students. However, any thematic development that has taken place in this devising process is inspired directly by the classroom.

This is basically how the process is designed, and the format it is following.

Space--> Themes/Ideas--> Outline of Show-->Characters--> Script-->Fully Realized Concept

This space has led us naturally on the path of tackling school-related issues. In order to solve the logistical problem of How do we get an audience to a classroom? we decided to format it in the style of an AIS tour, which I have explained before. This creative solution to the problem posed by the space is part of what makes this show site-specific.

Right now I am working on the characters/script stage. I've already posted early drafts, but I want to have a fully rounded out script ASAP so that the cast can get together and test the waters. Also, I'd like to start rehearsing with some sort of sample audience so that we can predict what will happen on the night of the show. There is still lots left to do!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.