Tuesday

Rough Beginning Script

For our 4th rehearsal, I did a read through of this script with the cast. (It is only meant to be the very beginning of the show):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emma’s IP Script

Draft 1

Scene 1

In an AIS classroom sit 5 students. The audience is brought in by a tour guide, and they walk into see a tense scene between a student and a teacher. After a beat, the atmosphere goes from aggravated to serene. The teacher turns and smiles artificially at the invited guests.

Teacher: Welcome! (Turns to students) Okay everyone, I’m going to go photocopy your tests. Behave. (Closes Door)

Ashton: (Stands up)

Be good, kids! (Everyone laughs)

(Pause as he remembers the guests)

Oops. Do you guys wanna like sit down or something?

Oliver: There’s a few chairs around

ALL: [IMPROV: The cast works together to get as many audience members as possible seated. Some may remain standing. The actors should feel free to speak directly to the “visitors”]

(Actors begin to ignore the guests again once they are seated)

Laetitea: Um Can you guys be a little quiet? I’m trying to study for this test.

Remember, it’s our only internal assessment for the semester. I need a 7!

Charlie: (Rolls his eyes at Laetitiea) Eff that! Hey Ana Paula, let’s Skype! (Opens up laptop)

Ana: Charlie…I’m right here.

Oliver: Hey, Charlie, I get how excruciatingly boring you find this class to be, but Skyping? Come on. Why Skype her when you two could just…step into the hallway for a moment?

Ana: (Slaps Him) Ew!

Laetitiea: (Points to Visitors) Ahem…I think we are forgetting something.

Ashton: Okay, okay. I got this. What do you “visitors” really want to know? I’d say I’m definitely the expert.

[IMPROV: One audience member is given an index card with instructions to ask a question]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


During rehearsal, I asked the actors for feedback and ideas. They suggested that perhaps it would be a little unrealistic for the teacher to leave the room right when a tour comes in. Also, Oliver reminded me that he would probably never say the word "excruciatingly". They also gave me ideas for things to include, such as Ashton playing tetris on his phone. All of these details are meant to give the audience a more realistic experience. Now I need to work on finishing a rough draft of the script, as well as well defined improv scenarios to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.