Saturday

Cafeteria Stories Script

Here I will post the new/final script for the show. If this IP has taught me anything it is that I am a terrible playwright. It was so difficult to come up with anything cohesive. I recoginize that there is still room for improvement in my script, but time is of the essence, and actors need to learn their lines. I can't keep changing it, and it is so frustrating! That said, I did the best I could, and this is what it will be.

Also, in this playwriting process I learned that there is a specific format for plays including font and capitalization ETC… Who knew?!

Also, I realize that this script is a bit short. However, when I was writing it I took into consideration the whole of the showcase and the need for brevity. Short but sweet, I say. If the audience is going to sit through 10 or so student projects, they don't need to be long! Also, I wanted something manageable so that I could work on blocking and staging more specifically. The longer the script is, the harder it is to refine details.


------------------------------
Cast of Characters

AMELIA, an AIS highschool senior

OWEN, an AIS highschool senior and “lifer”

ELOISE, an AIS highschool senior

STAGE MANAGER, AIS student and lead tour guide

STUDENT AMBASSADORS, a group of 12-15 AIS seniors

This short play takes place in a cafeteria as three graduating seniors reminisce about their experiences growing up in a school cafeteria.

(The audience is now seated in the AIS cafeteria, facing AMELIA, OWEN, and ELOISE. They have been led here by the student ambassadors as part of an “AIS Tour”.)

STAGE MANAGER

I hope you’ve all been enjoying your tours led by our wonderful AIS student ambassadors. Please feel free to ask them any questions you may have about life here at Atlanta International School. As you’ve seen, our students are sociable, international, and very accomplished. Now if you all will please be silent and attentive for the next 10 minutes. We ambassadors have put together a special presentation.

(Crosses to center. Motions to actors)

A Memory: Primary School

AMELIA

(Seated alone at a cafeteria table. Nostalgic.)

I still remember being five. We used to all sit together for dinner. Mom would cook a roast or some stew and mashed potatoes. She always made me sit up straight as a rail, and if I ever tried to lay my elbow on the table (Pause) You don’t even wanna know. But the cafeteria was a different story.

In kindergarten, I always sat alone. I thought maybe it was my imagination, but even when I’d get up and try to join a different table, everyone would just get up and move. Yeah, they would. My teacher told my mom that I chewed with my mouth open. She said it really grossed out the other kids, and she wondered why my mother never taught me to chew with my mouth closed! You know, to this day my mom insists that I had perfect manners at home…I don’t know. I can’t figure it out. I just remember feeling small, scared to be at school eating all alone in that big, empty space (She looks around).

OWEN

Do you guys remember primary school? No work, no stress. Recess. Man, life was good.

ELOISE

Remember, I went to primary school in France, so we had plenty of work. But yeah, those were the days.

OWEN

Oh, right! I always forget that you lived there. When did you move here, again?

ELOISE

5th grade, and I can still remember it.

STAGE MANAGER

A Memory: “Coming to America”, 5th grade

ELOISE

In France, I went home for lunch every. Everyone did, really. So when I came here, it was hard. I had to separate myself from my home a little bit. (She stands up) Instead of sitting down at my kitchen table, I’d take a cold plastic cafeteria tray and march through the line. (Holding a tray) Even the food was different: tator tots, chicken biscuits, corn dogs… I could hardly bring myself to eat any of it. I remember thinking how early lunch was in America. 11 AM. How could anyone want corn dogs at 11 AM? But the other kids loved them. They devoured them. I remember seeing that as I would leave the cafeteria line, confronted with a sea of tables to choose from.

That was the one thing I hated about this place: all the unspoken rules. Oh, there were so many! In fifth grade, girls and boys did not sit together. I had to learn that the hard way. During my first week of school here, I took my tray and sat down with some boys from my PE class. They were okay, but the girl’s table…when I went to sit with them the next day…they wouldn’t talk to me! Yeah, they shut me out. (Shakes head.) I’m glad that stage is over. I really don’t miss being the new kid. I really don’t.

OWEN

That must have been so weird to come here all the way from France. I can’t imagine it. (Pause) Hey, Amelia, you came in 10th grade right?

AMELIA

Yeah, and even that seems like ages ago.

OWEN

Well if 10th grade was so long ago, then I’ve been here since the Stone Age.

STAGE MANAGER

A Memory: “Thanksgiving Meal”, Through the Years

OWEN

Wow, I’ve been coming to this room since forever. I think I’ve probably eaten more meals here than at home (contemplates it)maybe not. But still, lots of meals. Lots of years, too. I’ve been at this school, in this cafeteria, all my life. Hey, they call me a “lifer” for a reason.

I still look forward to the Thanksgiving meal in here each year. I know it sounds lame, but there’s something kinda nice about doing the same thing every year. Yeah, Thanksgiving tradition. I mean, since I was in primary school the whole school has come together in here to eat cranberry sauce, turkey, and apple pie. (Pause) Who even likes cranberry sauce? But for Thanksgiving, it always tastes great. Even as seniors we all came in here this year just for the Thanksgiving meal. We all sat around one of the long tables, eating cranberry sauce and turkey. It was like the old days. (Pause) I wonder if I’ll be able to come back for it once I go to college?

STAGE MANAGER

Graduation Time: The Present

OWEN

It’s hard to believe that it’s been this long… College is gonna be different. I’m even gonna miss the food.

ELOISE

Yeah, plus I hear that dorm food sucks.

AMELIA

Hey, well atleast you won’t need to deal with that for another whole year! You’ll be on your gap year in Kathmandu, probably stuffing your face with Nepalese food.

ELOISE

True, but I don’t know how well that’ll go. And I’m going to be missing out on a whole year of college! Anyway, I’ve gotta go. My whole family is coming in for graduation and I have to go meet them at the airport.

OWEN

(Sarcastically) Good luck with that.

ELOISE

Yeah, I’ll need it. I’ll see you guys tomorrow! (Exit cafeteria thru double-doors)

AMELIA

God, just a few months from now everyone is going to be scattered all over the globe. Miranda’s going to be all the way in Nepal, you’ll be in California…

OWEN

I know, it’s weird. (Reassuringly) But hey, atleast we’ll all see each other tomorrow for graduation!

AMELIA

Yeah, for the last time…

OWEN

Not even. The doors to this place are wide open. We’ll come back.

AMELIA

Back here, to the cafeteria?

OWEN

Sure, why not? I don’t think anywhere else has such high quality tator tots.

AMELIA

(Amused) You make an excellent point. (Pause) I’ll see you tomorrow, Owen. (Crosses to exit thru double-door) See you at graduation.

OWEN

(Watches her leave. Then turns to audience). Wow, it’s really over. (Pause as he examines the cafeteria for the last time)It’s been a good run. (Gets up and leaves)

STAGE MANAGER

That concludes our student tour of AIS. Please follow your ambassadors to the LPAC. We hope you have enjoyed the tour, and please feel free to ask your ambassadors any questions.

(As they lead the audience back to the LPAC, the ambassadors distribute photocopied “thank you” cards to the audience members)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.